Location: Woking, GB
We take performance beyond what was thought possible, working with visionaries and leaders to move our world forwards faster.
McLaren Applied Technologies, part of the McLaren Technology Group, innovates using the skills, insights and experience gleaned from over 50 years of competition in the world’s most technologically demanding sport, to innovate in and also beyond motorsport. We seek to create meaningful, long-lasting performance gains that positively impact a variety of sectors and communities.
With a passion for performance excellence, we bring together a distinctive combination of technology, mindset and capabilities - including high performance design, analytics, simulation, sensing and control systems – to make innovation a reality for our partners.
Our people are dynamic with excellent technical and commercial skills.
We partner with world leading businesses across many sectors; what unites us is a desire to prevail in whatever we do. Together we strive to be the best or to go beyond what was considered to be the limit of performance.
The Role:Working in the development team that produces platform software for embedded systems and control electronics used in motorsport.
The products we develop and support are used by customers in the top-tier of this sector including Formula 1, WEC, NASCAR, and IndyCar.
You will have the opportunity to be involved with a growing product portfolio. Recent expansion includes; Wearables, Sports Equipment, Health Care, and Industrial Automation. You will be responsible for developing solutions and planning the execution path to deliver into specific systems and products.
Day to day activities follow Agile development methodology. You will interact with other team members to share experience, refine solutions and balance workload.
The role will involve occasional travel to meet with customers and support product deployment.
- Solve complex problems, take a new perspective using existing solutions.
- Improve and deliver solution components for pre-production and production deployment, with a consideration of commercial implications.
- Develop new and reusable solutions whilst optimising engineering processes that can be quickly adapted into new applications and products.
- Ability to account for use of time, resources and techniques to deliver solutions efficiently.
- Identify the best solution within constraints.
- Monitor progress and identify risk abatement strategies.
- Have the ability to assess solutions/systems and produces reports on failure modes.
- Produce clear and concise project reports and presentations and externally represents the company in a technical capacity.
- Actively researches and communicates emerging industry trends.
- Acts as a resource of knowledge and experience for colleagues.
- First class degree or upper 2nd in Engineering, Electronics, Mathematics, Operational Research, Computer Science, or other highly quantitative field (or equivalent experience).
- Strong analytical and numerical skills.
- Product or industrial design creative ability
Experience in a range of the following skills and disciplines:
- Programming and scripting languages, for example C/C++, VHDL, Perl, ANT, Python;
- Analytical Software, for example MATLAB, Simulink;
- Embedded project experience, i.e. Embedded Development Kit, BeagleBone Raspberry Pi, Arduino
- Version Control: Mercurial, GIT
- Application development in desktop environment Windows, Linux.
- Communication interfaces; SPI, I2C, UART, CAN, Ethernet, USB
- Electronic hardware design, reading schematics, device datasheets
- Microsoft Suite of productivity tools